Reservations for the Oakes College facility spaces are managed by the College Programs Coordinator, Mary Simms, and Interim Assistant College Programs Coordinator, Saoi Sope. Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding the reservation procedure.
- Facilities at Oakes College are only available to student organizations which are currently registered through SOAR, Student Media or sponsored by a campus unit.
- As a general rule, you should submit your form 5 working days prior to event to ensure that your request will be processed in time for advertising and promotion of the event.
- Each Oakes facility may only be reserved for four consecutive weeks at a time.
- Fees and charges are used to cover the cost of wages for student staff, maintenance and upkeep of facilities/equipment.
Oakes Learning Center
The Oakes Learning Center is the primary indoors event space of Oakes College. The rental fee of the Oakes Learning Center is $150 per event. Capable of seating 150 students, the Oakes Learning Center has a history of academic support. It is regularly used by Learning Support Services as a tutoring and supplemental instruction space during the school year. It is generally not available the weekend prior to Finals.
Oakes Lower Lawn
The Oakes Lower Lawn is the premier outdoor venue on the West side of campus. The rental fee of the Oakes Lower Lawn is $200. The home of four different college commencement ceremonies, the Oakes Lower Lawn offers a pristine grass lawn with a wooden stage and a fantastic view. The Oakes Lower Lawn also proudly hosts the UCSC Multicultural Festival each year. Vehicles may not drive on the lawn.
Guzman RoomLocated right next to the Oakes Cafe, the Guzman Room is a smaller, more intimate venue. The capacity of the Guzman Room is 50. The space comes with use of a television and is perfect for small film showings or student group meetings. The rental fee for the Guzman Room is $75.
Oakes Upper LawnLocated right outside the Oakes Student Life Office, the Oakes Upper Lawn is the first thing that you see when you walk into Oakes College. The rental fee of the Oakes Upper Lawn is $50 and has a maximum capacity of 300.
Oakes AmphitheaterThe Oakes Amphitheater provides an outdoor venue that seats 250 people but still facilitates discussion and dialogue. Comes with a fantastic view. The rental fee for use of the amphitheater is $50
Kahlo and Shabazz Picnic AreaWith a capacity of 20 per picnic area, the Kahlo and Shabazz Picnic Areas serve as limited small space outdoor options. The rental fee for the Kahlo and Shabazz Picnic Areas are $25. Priority for use of these spaces will go to Oakes College.
A fee may be charged for the use of specific equipment items provided by Oakes College. Rates are as follows:
- Sound Equipment - $50 fee plus student staffing costs
- Stages (4x4) - $10 per section
- BBQ Grill - $25
- Other items may be available upon request.
The following equipment is available free of charge but may require student staff for setup, unlocking, and securing the equipment.
- Guzman Doors Closed
- Trash Cans
- If student staff is needed for your event, your organization will be charged $15 per person per hour.
- The College Programs Coordinator (CPC) will determine the appropriate number of student staff necessary for an event.
- Student staff may be required for you to access the space required and to secure it when your event is complete.
- You may request student staff to be present for the duration of your event for troubleshooting purposes or for extra help with use of equipment at the hourly rate specified.
- If a reservation is cancelled less then 48 hours before the event then there may be a cancellation fee for up to half the reservation cost. This fees also applies for "no shows".
- Major events require UCPD presence. The rates charged are not included in the above fees.
- It is expected that trash cans will be emptied and all garbage and recycling taken to a local dumpster after each event.
- In event that additional custodial service is required for special cleaning at the end of the event, the reserving party will be charged that service.
- Damage to Oakes property outside of normal wear and tear will be charged to your organization for repair or replacement
How to Reserve:
Submit an online Oakes Facilities Reservation Form. You will be contacted via email or phone within 5 working days to confirm your reservation and discuss logistics.