What We Do

Advising at Oakes


Meet with us regularly to review your progress. During your first year, you should plan to see us at least once per quarter.


Oakes Advisers can help you:

  • Maneuver and navigate through the institution.
  • Explore and decide on a major program of interest to pursue.
  • Choose classes and create a two-year academic plan to qualify for a major.
  • Access support services available across the campus.
  • Find enriching opportunities, such as workshops regarding internships, study skills, time management or career planning, etc.
  • Understand policies and requirements for graduation.
  • Discuss academic concerns.
  • Figure out who to speak to when we can’t answer your questions.


Peer Advisers will assist with:

  • Using the enrollment system (add/drop/swap/waitlist courses and changing grading option).
  • Finding and strategically selecting general education (GE) requirements and elective courses.
  • Accessing and interpreting your Academic Advisement Report (AAR) to better understand any outstanding requirements you might have at UCSC .



Forms Drop-Box at Oakes (Instructions Below)


Notice: You now have the option to drop-off the following forms and petitions. You are not required to drop-off these forms, and you can always meet with an adviser.


Notice: It could take up to a week to process the petition. If you need it sooner then you should stay for drop-in. 


Change of College Application

Change In: If you are changing into Oakes, make sure you have all the required signatures.  You only need housing coordinator signature, if you want to change housing in the current academic year.


Change Out: If you are changing out of Oakes, and plan to drop-off your form, the form does not need any signatures on it as we are the first office to sign in.


Petition to Extend Enrollment

Accepted as long as you have the signatures from your major, and 2nd major or minor if applicable 


Education Abroad Program Application

Academic plan section must be complete. 


VA Forms

Make sure you get major adviser signature first. 


Committee on Courses of Instruction (CCI) Petitions

As long as you have already met with an adviser and you’re just dropping it off


Final Quarter Part-Time Program Application